Once again it is THAT season. Our closets are full but yet we still have nothing to wear! It is simple – first, the weather is not stable like it is during summer or winter, and second, spring trends are changing almost every year. And who could keep up with all of them, right? Well, luckily for you, we now have the Internet, where you can get all the information you need. So without further ado, here is how to build your own spring capsule wardrobe.
Wait, why should you do this in the first place?
Well, this thing has probably happened to you at least a hundred times. You buy a fabulous garment somewhere, wear it once, and later just go back to wearing your old favorites and totally forget about it. I know, it happens to everybody, especially now in the era of social media when we have instant access to every single celebrity in the world. And of course, we will end up brainwashed and do everything we can to copy their style and wardrobe. However, we tend to forget one really important part: they have 100 times more money than us, and they can provide themselves with the luxury of spending hundreds of dollars on clothing every single day.
The good news is that you can actually copy their style, IF you start embracing the capsule wardrobe idea. You will learn how to spend a lot less time and money, while still looking awesome.
How to do it?
First of all, you will have to clear out all the clutter. Open your closet and throw EVERYTHING on the floor. Separate all of your clothing into two piles: things you wear all the time and other things. If a garment evokes no emotions of warmth in your heart, put it on the second pile. Use your HEART, not your brain. After you are done, give that second pile away – you won’t be needing those anymore.
Next, you will need to find a pattern – do you like fitted or loose clothes? What all of these garments have in common? After you’re done, separate all the garments that are appropriate for this season – they will be the base, and set the rest aside.
Next, decide what your favorite neutral colors are, the main colors that make you feel happy or point out your features the best way, and the accent colors that bring some excitement to your wardrobe.
The final part is combining everything. After you determine your lifestyle, you will have a vision which garments you wear the most. After that you will create a spring shopping list of items that still need to be added.
And finally, the must-haves!
Yes, it’s time for shopping! You have two options: get up, take your purse and start the shopping mall adventure, or if you are a lazy bug, just visit an online boutique where you can get everything delivered to your door without moving an inch. Here is the list of this spring’s essential and basic must-haves:
- A classic white tee – of course, you should get more than 5 of them
- A black camisole – that emergency party top we all need
- Navy striped shirt
- Button-down basic white shirt
- A “bra” top – but only if you have killer confidence and killer abs. And a bold lipstick.
- A graphic tee to express yourself the right way
- A silk top – another emergency party top
- Chambray shirt
- Boyfriend flannel shirt. Go wild and combine it with false eyelashes.
- Anything ruffly – ruffles were the NYFW winner for sure
Jackets and blazers:
- Black blazer
- Robe-coat – they are just fabulous, and a huge hit this season. They are like the new cardigans
- Navy blazer
- Floral blazer – since floral is the absolute 2017 hit
- Jean jacket
- The utility jacket – this is also a major 2017 trend
- Leather jacket – do I need to say anything about this one?
- Perfectly fitting denim shorts – show off those legs girl, come on!
- Cotton shorts – for camping trips and overall times when you just want to chill out
- Perfectly fitting skinny jeans
- Fashionable boyfriend jeans
- White jeans
- Black skinny jeans
- A shirtdress – you will thank me later
- A little FLORAL dress – since it is spring after all, leave the black one for colder days
- A fancy and versatile clutch
- Versatile crossbody bag
- Leather tote
- Black heels
- Nude heels
- Ankle boots
- Flat sandals
- White sneakers
- Black sneakers
- Glittery slip-ons – just to add some fun to everything. Spring is the time of happiness, and plus, glitter is a huge hit everybody loves
My last advice for you is to print this list out and make sure you get all of these garments. After you get them all, you will have no trouble adding finishing touches that will complement your outfit. When you think about it, it really isn’t that difficult, and you probably already have at least half of these in your closet. So what are you waiting for? Grab your credit card and do what we girls do best: shop till you drop.