National Disability Insurance Agency is an independent commonwealth statutory agency that has a scheme called National Disability Insurance Scheme or NDIS. Under this scheme, people with permanent disabilities can avail some facility and NDIS aged care providers can offer a wide range of services and support to their family. It is a program for the people with disability to promote a community’s development, education and awareness, employment, and health support for disabled people or people with disabilities.
There is a special scheme available for aged people having disabilities, and they can contact a ndis aged care provider to avail such benefits. The aged Australians who are 65 years above and have disabilities can avail such facilities. Therefore, if you are an aged person who have some disabilities, you can also enroll your name into this scheme, but you need to meet the below mentioned criteria:
- People aged less than 65 years cannot avail this facility.
- You must have a permanent disability, which is affecting your daily life or activities.
- To avail this scheme, you must be an Australian citizen.
- People having a permanent Australian visa can also apply for the scheme.
- Apart from the Western Australia, this scheme is available around the country. Western Australia has opted for a two-year trial of this scheme in 2019. Therefore, if you are living in a part of Western Australia then you must check whether this scheme is available in your region or not.
Can you claim health care from ndis aged care providers?
There are different schemes available for health care and you cannot avail any health care or medical care facility under this scheme. NDIS is managed by the Minister of Social Services, and it is not a part of Minister of Health.
But, the framework of NDIS was framed by the health care providers, and they have implemented some rules and regulations regarding such schemes and programs. Healthcare providers can use the referral programs to refer an aged person with disability. However, if you are availing facilities under NDIS aged care scheme and you need to avail heath care facility then you need to consult it with the ndis aged care providers and they will surely refer you to the healthcare providers.
Apart from that, you can avail physical session under the NDIS aged care scheme. Apart from that, ndis aged care providers can provide the following support:
- They can offer transportation support
- You can avail employment benefits from such ndis aged care providers
- They can offer therapeutic and behavioural support to the aged people with disabilities
- They can help you with your daily household tasks and complete it
- They can also help you to modify your home and vehicle because you need to add some special features in your home and car, such as ramp, wheels etc
- They also provide additional health care supports like physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy
- If you need any aids like hearing aids, adjustable beds, artificial limbs, wheelchairs and any other devices for your convenience and support then you can avail such facilities from ndis aged care providers.
If you do not have any permanent disability, then you cannot avail such aged care support and services. Apart from that, people get affected or injured after 65 years of age can avail such disability facilities from the Commonwealth Aged Care System. However, they will not be able to avail any facilities through ndis aged care providers.
You can find such ndis aged care providers online and you can check their website to know about their services. Make sure to check their reviews and certifications before you make any decision and finalise something.