Just like every other profession, photography also has two different parts, the first part is how and the next part is what. The photographer must make the goal focused on what to shoot and how to shoot. There will be much subversion of these two apparently clear-cut goals and apparent overlapping. In order to make the terms clear in a family photo shooting, the job is to capture the happy moments of the family. But a good photographer’s job would be to capture the defining moments. A family photograph is not a bunch of photos with serious-looking fellows trying to mutter cheese in unison. It is much more. A family means a bonding of tender care and love. The portrait must picture these moments.
The Gadgets Required
Serious photography is not what people do with their mobile camera. It needs professional training, understanding the interplay of light and shadow and much more. This is the reason why:
- The photographer must have enough gadgets to get the ideal depth of the field without distorting the image.
- A good camera must be a single lens reflex type. So that what the camera screen is seeing in the field of view of the camera person are same. It gives the photographer the liberty to compose the individual faces.
- The depth of the field is another factor. Shot with an open lens should ideally give depth of the field zero and allow the camera person a better liberty to take soft close-ups.
- The nuances of Family Portraits are capturing the moods and tenderness of the relationship, and the gadgets must provide the necessary support.
The Skill Of The Photographer
The skill of the photographer is something that matters the most. The skill is not defined by the ability of the photographer to shoot accurately; the skill is in analyzing the situation and capturing a fleeting moment. It is a different skill and mindset, and not all good photographers can shoot excellent Family Portraits. The reason is apparent, and there are certain things that cannot be learned unless he has talent. This is the reason why portrait photography is a separate specialization. Therefore portrait of the family is a story of interdependence and bondage and that is the sense of it.
The Costume For Shoot
There is no such hard and fast rule for the photo shoot. But there are a few essential things that need to be taken care of:
- Choose casual dresses for an outdoor photo shoot. Don’t look it like a special occasion than an outing.
- A distinctive dress and specially designed costume is for special occasions and a family photo shooting is not like shooting a birthday party.
- The photographer must understand that if the persons get tensed and mechanical, the job will be more difficult.
- It is better to take a partner to give support when the one engages them in discussion the other will man the camera.
- The idea is to capture the best enjoyable moments of life.
- It is better to make a plan and prepare a theme before starting the work.
- It is impossible to capture life in a preplanned way. Therefore, there must be alternative plans.
The Cost Of Photography
The cost of photography depends on the skill and time engaged by the photographer. A standard photo in the studio will not cost much. But that will most probably look like a bunch of Passport photo stitched together. Unfortunately, a real good family photo will be light-years apart from such photographs. So the cost will depend upon the photographers and their ability to interpret or create situations that can be captured as good moments of family life. In this type of portraits, there must be some sort of spontaneous positivity. And that makes it stand over time.